Over the last few days, the price of Bitcoin has been going downhill ever since the bearish valuations at the launch of CME’s Bitcoin futures last Sunday. Taking a $3,000 plunge due to the introduction of Bitcoin Cash to Coinbase, the prices of the infamously volatile cryptocurrency did not just stop there. On Friday, it dipped below $11,000, shedding over 30% of its value in under 24 hours, according to Coindesk.com.
Compared to the all-time high of $19,800 on Sunday, Bitcoin’s latest low is almost half of that number. As institutional investors start to pour into the world of digital currencies, Bitcoin has fallen for six days straight – its longest losing streak since September.
Nevertheless, Bitcoin’s price has still increased more than 1,000% in the year of 2017.
This week has been a rough week for cryptocurrencies. Earlier this week, South Korea-based virtual currency exchange, YouBit was forced to shut down all operations due to another cyber-attack, the second one in the span of 8 months. During the attack in April, cyber-thieves managed to steal 38 billion won ($35 million) in cryptocurrencies.
Then, on Thursday, Coinbase, one of the world’s largest cryptocurrency trading platforms, suspended all trading activities due to suspicions of insider trading. This incident happened right after Bitcoin spinoff Bitcoin Cash was added to Coinbase’s platform.
Major Correction or Market Crash?
The mass decline in cryptocurrency prices has received different reactions from market speculators. Most agree that Bitcoin is just taking a breather – a price correction – after a bullish run in 2017.
“A correction like we are witnessing today is hardly surprising,” said Dave Chapman, managing director of Hong Kong cryptocurrency trading platform Octagon Strategy.
Twitter users also pointed out that this wasn’t the first time Bitcoin had a price correction of over 30% this year.
Bitcoin has declined 34% over the past 4 days, its 5th 30+% correction of the year. $BTC.X pic.twitter.com/Tc9SuzU6FU
— Charlie Bilello (@charliebilello) December 22, 2017
There were also some bearish views about Bitcoin’s latest price correction. Michael Novogratz, former Goldman Sachs partner and Fortress Investment Group trader told Bloomberg News that he believes that Bitcoin could go as low as $8,000. Novogratz, who is arguably one of Bitcoin’s largest bulls, had an entirely different opinion in an interview with CNBC last month.
“Bitcoin could be at $40,000 at the end of 2018. It easily could,” Michael Novogratz said on CNBC’s “Fast Money” in November.
What do you think? Will Bitcoin recover from its latest crash, or will it fall past the $10,000 mark?
- Can Shiba Inu Price Reach 10 Cents?
- Reasons behind dismal performance of cryptocurrencies in recent time
- Bitcoin Eyes Price Boom After Goldman Sachs’ Call to Buy Gold
- Big News: Ripple Price is about to TRIPLE? This News Confirms…
- Bitcoin Hash Rate Doubles Regardless of Price Drop: Why Hash rate Matters?
- Is Bitcoin Entering A Bear Market?
- Bitcoin Price Analysis- BTC Price rejected the golden ratio
- Crypto Millionaire: Buy THESE Cryptos before they BOOM in 2023?
- Novogratz Introduces Galaxy Digital: A $250 Million Crypto Venture
- Bitcoin Price Analysis: Is BTC Price Stuck in a Rut?
- Shiba Inu Price Prediction: How High can SHIB Price reach by 2030?
- Bitcoin Price Prediction – Bitcoin Falls Under $11,000! How Low Will The BTC Price Drop?
- Is the crypto bull run over? BTC price dives by 13% in the past 24 hours
- Week In Review: Vietnam Confirms Ban of Crypto Miner Imports, Cryptocurrency Exchanges Leaks Analysis, Venezuela Announces Petro As Second National Currency
- The Big Ripple Price Prediction for 2023 – How high can the XRP price go in 2023?
- Crypto Billionaire Tyler Winklevoss Says $15K BTC Price Soon After $10K
- Hacking Group Lazarus Stole $571 Million in Cryptocurrency
- Ripple Price Prediction – How High will XRP reach in 2050?
- Bitcoin Price Analysis- Will BTC Price Overcome Fib Resistance?
- Bitcoin Price Analysis – What Happened to BTC during the weekend?
- Crypto Bank Galaxy digital loses $134 million
You might also like
More from Cryptocurrency Exchanges
Silvergate Crypto Bankruptcy: Why did Silvergate Crash?
Silvergate crypto bank has announced that it will begin the process of "winding down" its operations and liquidating its bank. …
Tracking Your Crypto Portfolio and NFTs Made Easy: Discover the 5 Best Token and NFT Trackers of 2023
Track your crypto portfolio and NFTs with ease using the many available trackers. CoinmarketCap, Coingecko, eToro, OpenSea, and Cryptowatch offer …
Coinbase Launches Layer 2 Blockchain Solution Base
Coinbase aims to make crypto transactions faster and more affordable. Let's take a look at this Coinbase launches Base.