Reddit announced that it chose Arbitrum L2 – an Ethereum L2 based scalability solution featuring roll-ups to scale its community points program on July 22. It will operate first on the Rinkeby testnet, before implementation on the Ethereum mainnet itself. Reddit has hundreds of millions of daily users. That’s why it’s not possible to economically run the community points program on the base layer directly.
How will the Arbitrum Layer 2 work?
The Arbitrum Layer 2 solution will allow the onboarding of millions of users to the blockchain. The move will expand the Ethereum ecosystem user base massively and generate new value for the native Ether token. Reddit announced in the official blog post that it chose Arbitrum because it’s decentralized, developer-friendly, and has broad ecosystem support.
The world’s renowned social media, news posting, and discussion site launched the community points initiative in May 2020 in a limited manner as a means for the users to own a piece of “their favorite communities” and then embarked on a competition to develop a solution which can support such a tremendous number of users and their activity called The Great Reddit Scaling Bake-Off.
It invited different teams to make Ethereum compatible with Reddit’s needs. A lot of teams participated and presented a plethora of unique projects – Offchain Labs Arbitrum won the race finally. This final solution will help Reddit implement an interactive reputation-based system.
Reddit’s community points initiative allows communities to reward talented users for quality work through tipping and transfers, these points will let users access premium features or special content. They are likely to have significant value, so users can transfer and trade them also. The community points are ERC-20 tokens on the Ethereum blockchain, which operate under full user control on Reddit’s Ethereum wallet implementation – the Vault.
- Shiba Inu Price Prediction: How High can SHIB Price reach by 2030?
- Coinbase Would Soon Integrate Ethereum Scaling Solutions
- Arbitrum Overtakes The Lightning Network By 23X Crossing $2.6B TVL In 3 Weeks
- Conservative Cardano Prediction for 2023 – How high can Cardano go?
- Arbitrum One Beta Publicly Launches To Bolster Ethereum Scaling
- How To Use Ethereum Scaling Arbitrum Bridge To Escape High Fees
- Ethereum Layer 2 Solutions – How Much Does It Take to Transact?
- Ripple Price Prediction – How High will XRP reach in 2050?
- What is Arbitrum? : Everything You Need To Know About Arbitrum Airdrop
- Ethereum Scalability New Era Begins As OKEx Integrates Arbitrum L2
- Crypto Millionaire: Buy THESE Cryptos before they BOOM in 2023?
- Reddit Launches Beta Tokens, Ethereum To Expand To Millions Of New Users
- Ethereum Reorgs “Extremely Unlikely” After POS Merge: Research Paper
- Ethereum Rollups Will Be 5X Cheaper, Meet EIP4488!
- Shiba Inu to Reach 1$ soon? This New Upcoming Development Proves it Right
- Ethereum Layer 2 Closes In On $5 Billion TVL Mark
- Bancor Liquidity Increased 1000% After v2.1 Launch Amidst Incoming Polkadot And L2 Integrations
- XRP Price is about to BOOM if the crypto market recovers! Buy $XRP?
- What is Arbitrum? Is it the Best L2 Solution in 2022?
- What is Immutable X? – The hidden Champion In the Crypto Space 2022? Invest now?
- 1inch Joins The Ethereum L2 Through Optimism Onboarding
You might also like
More from Blockchain Companies
In this article, we take a closer look at a company whose failure could cause the Bitcoin price to fall …