There’s significant news coming out for Bitcoin’s adoption as the Latin American country of El Salvador has announced that it’s submitting a bill to make Bitcoin the legal tender in the state on 06 June. The announcement came before a mysterious little note from the official Twitter account of the Bitcoin Miami conference. Jack Mallers, founder of Zap Solutions took the lead and a message from El Salvadorean president Nayib Armando Bukele Ortez sealed it.
El Salvador is more or less a one-man show and the bill is likely to pass by Congress, however, there’s no definite confirmation yet. It doesn’t have its own currency and instead uses the United States Dollar. Bitcoin being the legal tender would mean that users will use it in El Salvador to settle public or private debts and to meet financial obligations in the country. This can include Bitcoin acceptance for tax, fines, contractual payments, and restitution in the country.
The news is significant in the sense that even though El Salvador GDP is small and 101st in the world by estimates. This paves the way for more countries to utilize cryptocurrencies as legal tenders and is likely the first push on a long list. Bitcoin surprisingly went down 2.3% on the news with the price now just above $35,000. It is unclear as to why the price hasn’t responded positively on the news, though the general bearish sentiment in the market might have played a role.
- Shiba Inu Price Prediction: How High can SHIB Price reach by 2030?
- Tether El Salvador Plan – Anatomy Of A Commercial Paper
- Top 5 WORST Cryptos of February 2022
- Shiba Inu to Reach 1$ soon? This New Upcoming Development Proves it Right
- This COUNTRY is running on Bitcoin – Bitcoin El Salvador Success Story
- 5 Crypto Experts thoughts after the Bitcoin Crash and Solana’s Escape
- AMP: a very promising cryptocurrency
- Bitcoin Price Prediction – Bitcoin breaches 40K, but will it Drop Back?
- Big News: Ripple Price is about to TRIPLE? This News Confirms…
- Twitter Is Enabling Lightning Network Tips Through Custodial Strike
- Germany Removes Taxes for Cryptocurrency Purchases
- Crypto Market Recap for Q1 2022 – What happened to Cryptos?
- Ripple Price Prediction – How High will XRP Reach in 2025?
- Is Crypto Regulation Important For The Cryptocurrency Market?
- Cryptos 2022: Present and Future Unearthed
- XRP relisted, Ripple CEO optimistic about the Lawsuit…BUY XRP in 2023?
- Arbitrum Overtakes The Lightning Network By 23X Crossing $2.6B TVL In 3 Weeks
- Marshall Islands to make crypto official tender
- Russia to Legalize Cryptocurrency Trading on Approved Exchanges
You might also like
More from Bitcoin News
Banking Revolution: 3 Reasons Why Bitcoin is the Ultimate Financial Solution?
Three reasons why you should use Bitcoin as your bank in the future and why Bitcoin price could bring revolution …
Bitcoin FAILS to breach 30K higher…Will Bitcoin crash to 20K?
May 2023 has not been kind to Bitcoin prices. Will Bitcoin crash to 20K? Let's analyze in this Bitcoin price …
Big Bitcoin News: Can Bitcoin Price Reach $50,000? Check These Five Reasons
The important question is whether Bitcoin price to reach $50,000 soon or not. Let's take a look at the five …