The Terra foundation had a successful launch of its stabelcoin UST. However, when the crypto market started to crash, Terra entered hot waters as UST loses its peg and slips to a current price of $0.88. What is UST crypto and why did it lose its peg? Was it a staged attack or UST couldn’t handle the crypto crash? Let’s clarify everything about UST crypto!
What are Stablecoins?
Before we start talking about UST and the events involving this project, we need to understand its nature first. Stablecoins are digital currencies. Their price is tied 1 to 1 to another financial asset. The most popular of these coins are pegged to the US dollar. This gives investors in crypto assets the opportunity to convert their money into a more useful form in a market that is highly volatile. Before their introduction, converting FIAT money into cryptocurrencies was much more difficult.
There are currently 3 different types of stablecoins:
- Stablecoins with Collateral: With this type of stablecoin, each individual coin is backed by an asset. For example, a financial organization can hold a US dollar equivalent for each coin (Example: Tether USDT, USD Coin USDC, Binance USD BUSD).
- Algorithmic stablecoins: These coins use certain blockchain-based mechanisms to keep the price of the coins constant (example: TerraUSD UST).
- Collateralized stablecoins: This uses smart contracts to tie up other crypto assets as collateral for loans. From these loans, programs generate new coins (example: Dai).
What is UST token?
UST is an algorithmic stablecoin developed by the Terra Foundation. In theory, it acts as a cryptocurrency with a “stable” price. Crypto traders can in turn swap to it when the crypto market is volatile in order to hedge heavy price fluctuations.
In order to keep its peg, UST does not have an actual “cash reserve” like other stablecoins. Instead, it destroys or creates LUNA tokens. It basically works as an arbitrage system, inviting arbitrageurs to “buy the dip” and “sell the top” instantly thanks to liquidity pools. This in turn keeps its price pegged to 1$.
Why did UST crash below 1$?
The algorithmic stablecoin UST consists of a basket of several cryptocurrencies. The arbitrage activity that keeps UST pegged is successful under normal market conditions. During the current crypto market crash, one-sided buys or sells can’t keep the equilibrium, thus breaking the peg. This requires heavy intervention, like excessive buying or selling depending on which side was broken. In today’s case, Terra foundation needs to buy excessively to bring the peg back to 1$.
On another side, many think that the crash was a staged attack. UST tokens were sold on Anchor (Terra’s lending platform), on Curve and on Binance simultaneously. This sudden sell coupled with a crashing crypto market lowered the value of UST.
Will Bitcoin crash because of UST?
Since the founder of Terra said that there will be a direct intervention from the buying side, Bitcoin’s price will heavily be influenced. The Luna Foundation Guard (LFG) stated that it will “lend” around $1 Billion worth of Bitcoins to trading firms in order to gain liquidity, buyback at higher prices, and keep the peg.
This is all great, but what if Bitcoin prices fall further? UST’s peg will be smashed. Also, trading firms are heavily involved in short-selling activities. This also increases the selling pressure on Bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies. That’s why analysts fear the next coming days and weeks as they will be bloody for the crypto market.
Will UST Recover?
A big part of recovery is played out by the entire sentiment of the cryptocurrency market as a whole. Currently, there is panic and FUD. Snowball effects often play out, causing a further unnecessary drop in prices. Should the market recover, Terra will be able to counter the drop in UST’s peg thanks to its higher-valued basket of cryptos. On another side, when they get back their loan, it’ll also be valued higher. We remain on the lookout for what happens next with UST, Bitcoin, and the crypto market in general!
- Can Shiba Inu Price Reach 10 Cents?
- Terra LUNA Prediction: Will LUNC Crash to 0$ in 2023?
- What Is Tether? Will It Fall Like UST In The Future?
- Shiba Inu Price Prediction: How High can SHIB Price reach by 2030?
- LUNA 2.0 vs LUNA Classic: What’s the difference between LUNA 2.0 and LUNA Classic?
- How to Claim LUNA on Terra 2 Guide
- TRON Price shoots 30% in an attempt to recover, what’s next for $TRX?
- Crypto Millionaire: Buy THESE Cryptos before they BOOM in 2023?
- Can Traders Still Buy The LUNA Token? Find Out Here!
- Can Terra Luna Reach $500 in 2022?
- The Big Ripple Price Prediction for 2023 – How high can the XRP price go in 2023?
- Terra project is reviving $LUNA! Will LUNA Price increase again?
- Despite the crash, this Coin rose more than 40% and is Still Growing!
- Terra Luna Price Prediction – LUNA Explodes 15%! Jump on Board?
- Big News: Ripple Price is about to TRIPLE? This News Confirms…
- Founder of Terra Arrest – Will LUNA Collapse AGAIN?
- LUNA Price Prediction – Will LUNC CRASH to 0 $?
- Shiba Inu to Reach 1$ soon? This New Upcoming Development Proves it Right
- What Is fUSD? Can Andre Cronje’s Return Spur The Project?
- Top 5 Cryptocurrencies of the Week -Week 36
- Is TERRA LUNA worth it? All you Need to Know about LUNA Crypto
You might also like
More from Altcoin
This Meme Coin PUMPED 50% in the past 24 hours…Will it continue to Grow? The Next Shib?
This article is all about the Shikoku Inu and how high can the Shikoku coin go. Let's take a look …
Cryptos are Consolidating! Here are 3 Cryptos to Buy in March 2023
There are still some coins that are worth investing in. In this article, we look at 3 cryptos to buy …
Solana’s Network Outage: A Sign of Trouble for Investors? How high can Solana go?
Is it still worthwhile to invest in Solana after the FTX scandal and the recent crashes? How high can …