Google has acknowledged the demand for high-power mining hardware as a driving force for the recent ‘computation explosion’.
In a recently released founders letter, Sergey Brin, President of Google’s parent company Alphabet reflected on the transformative era we are living through.
In recent years the power of computing machines has skyrocketed, whilst costs continue to plummet. Google has seen immense increases with its operational power, with Brin outlining:
“The Pentium IIs we used in the first year of Google performed about 100 million floating point operations per second. The GPUs we use today perform about 20 trillion such operations — a factor of about 200,000 difference — and our very own TPUs are now capable of 180 trillion (180,000,000,000,000) floating point operations per second.”
This, Brin predicts, is just the beginning. Quantum computing, a new field that is gaining motion fast, would see an exponential further increase. The 33 qubit quantum computer the company is developing is predicted to live up to company’s name, speeding up computations by a factor of a google (10,000,000,000,000,000, 000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000, 000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000, 000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000x).
According to Brin, a crucial factor driving the increase in computational power is cryptocurrencies. Greater demand for “GPU-friendly proof-of-work algorithms found in some of today’s leading cryptocurrencies, such as Ethereum” has seen a surge of investment flooding the market, allowing hardware manufacturers to step up research and development.
Whilst the rapidly changing capabilities of computers is an impressive feat, Brin was keen to warn of the potential dangers this uncharted path may bring. He noted that “such powerful tools also bring with them new questions and responsibilities”, citing machine-learning, the replacement of human labour, and manipulation of humans by machines as crucial areas of consideration.
With these issues in mine, Brin concluded in positive vein, reinforcing again the responsibility the company is seeking to uphold.
“While I am optimistic about the potential to bring technology to bear on the greatest problems in the world, we are on a path that we must tread with deep responsibility, care, and humility. That is Alphabet’s goal.”
It remains to be seen how the future will play out. Google is fast becoming a technological behemoth, more powerful than many nation states. Whether the company can restrain this power and act with responsibility is a vital and necessary question, and the answer may impact the very future of humanity.
- Shiba Inu Price Prediction: How High can SHIB Price reach by 2030?
- Intel Wins Patent For Efficient Bitcoin Mining Processor
- Quantum Computer: The End of Bitcoin?
- Shiba Inu to Reach 1$ soon? This New Upcoming Development Proves it Right
- Is Bitcoin Mining Dangerous?
- What happens if a supercomputer is involved in Bitcoin Mining?
- IBM Introduces Stellar Based Blockchain World Wire Payment System
- Google Bans Cryptocurrency Mining Apps
- Big News: Ripple Price is about to TRIPLE? This News Confirms…
- Forget about Bitcoin and Check out those 5 Bitcoin Alternatives!
- Week In Review: Square Wins Crypto Patent, Iran To Lift Crypto Ban, Coinsquare To Move To the EU Market
- Are Cryptocurrencies dead?
- Ripple Price Prediction – How High will XRP Reach in 2025?
- IBM Signs $740 Million Blockchain Deal With Australian Government
- Report: College Campuses are 2nd largest Crypto miners
- How High will XRP Price reach after Ripple wins the SEC Lawsuit? XRP 3$?
- Cryptocurrency miners facing disruptive losses
You might also like
More from Blockchain
Solana Price is Consolidating! Silence before the STORM up to 50 $?
Can Solana reach 50$ before 2024? In this Solana price prediction article, we analyze Solana from a technical perspective.
We MIGHT see XRP Price reach 3$ if THIS Happens! (Hint: SEC related)
Which direction will XRP price move in the next months? Can XRP price reach 3$ if the lawsuit resolves? Let's …
Say Goodbye to DOGE and Hello AIDOGE! Prices are up by 150%?
In this article, we will explore ARBDOGE, its key features, and why it has gained attention in the world of …