The second largest crypto-asset in the world is progressing rapidly to establish itself as the cornerstone of the new decentralized economy. This month two important developments took place, the launch of Ethereum futures and the progress on Ethereum Improvement Proposal (EIP 1559). A brief overview and implications are presented below.
CFTC Regulated ErisX Ethereum Futures
On May 11, ErisX launched the first Ethereum futures contract to allow individuals and institutional investors to acquire access to physically delivered futures contracts (ETH – USD) with monthly and quarterly expirations. The futures exchange will function alongside ErisX spot exchange. The futures exchanges is licensed by the Commodity Futures Trading Commission (CFTC) and complies with all relevant regulatory framework.
The launch of the futures contract for Ethereum will benefit all stake holders in the premier smart contract blockchain ecosystem. It will have long term beneficial implications for miners, hedges, speculators, users and projects that utilize the Ethereum blockchain. The newly available futures contracts will enable and facilitate broader participation from all segments, provide resiliency and robustness to the Ethereum markets, aid in increasing liquidity, improving risk management, help with price discovery, efficient integration of information and assist with price / instrument transparency.
Ethereum Improvement Proposal 1559 (EIP-1559)
Ethereum Improvement Proposal 1559 (EIP-1559) refers to the proposal to drastically optimize the monetary policy of the blockchain. Although it was proposed long before, it has been getting a lot of buzz again lately. The second implementers call occurred on May 28 at 14:00 UTC for various development teams to discuss the way to move forward on the proposal. The improvement proposal, once implemented, will make the Ethereum monetary policy smoother. more predictable, solve fees estimation problems and burn ETH supply.
EIP 1559 establishes a base fee (stylized BASEFEE in the proposal) over the highly inefficient auction type mechanism currently present on Ethereum, as well as providing a mechanism for burning the majority of the transaction fee. The EIP 1559 will add scarcity to the Ethereum supply and may even cause negative issuance, in the long term. It will increase the value of the ETH tokens with each transaction and provide for long term security of the network. Everyone on the network will benefit equally, instead of only the validators receiving fees and block rewards currently.
The base fee mechanism will adjust the fee automatically on the Ethereum blockchain, depending on the congestion of the network. For usage over 50% of the network capacity, the base fee will increase. For usage less than 50% of the network, it will decrease. The mechanism will establish a market rate for processing transactions on the Ethereum blockchain, however to get the transactions processed sooner, the senders can still pay a little more. So even though the base fee would be burned to add scarcity, validators will still receive the extra amount over the base fee, sent by the users.
Upon implementation of EIP 1559, validators will benefit almost exclusively from the block rewards and wont receive the transaction fees or base fee (except for the extra amount over base fee) that they do today, complementing the Ethereum blockchain policy of prioritizing security and issuing the minimum practical amount to validators for achieving that.
- Shiba Inu to Reach 1$ soon? This New Upcoming Development Proves it Right
- Ethereum Price Prediction – THIS is why you should consider Buying ETH
- Ethereum Supply Reduction – Watch EIP1559 Burn ETH On Ropsten!
- SHIB’s Burn Rate Soars: Can it Ignite a Price Rally in 2023?
- This MASSIVE UPDATE will change Ethereum Gas Fees FOREVER?
- Ethereum 2.0 Will Create The Next Economic Shift: Analyst Cochran
- 3 reasons why Ethereum price should reach USD 1,000 again, and climb to new highs
- Shiba Inu Price Prediction: How High can SHIB Price reach by 2030?
- Ethereum Shanghai Upgrade: Explain The Ethereum Shanghai Upgrade like I’m five
- Ethereum Update – EIP1559 Poised For August Release And Sygnum Bank Offers ETH Staking!
- Can Shiba Inu Price Reach 10 Cents?
- Ethereum Rollups Will Be 5X Cheaper, Meet EIP4488!
- ETHAmsterdam Digest: THIS is what Vitalik thinks about Ethereum Today
- What is Ethereum Merge? – Read This Detail Guide To Know More About Ethereum’s Triple-Halving Event
- Ripple Price Prediction – How High will XRP reach in 2050?
- Ether Burning EIP1559 To Go Live Soon, Where Can You Watch The ETH Burn?
- Ethereum Wallets Can Acquire Superpowers If This Happens
- Ripple Price Prediction – How High will XRP Reach in 2025?
- Ethereum Improvement Proposal 867 Sparks Fierce Debate
- ETH Burning Is 3 ETH+ / Min Now, What Happens Post Merge?
- What will happen to Ethereum Price after ETH2.0? Probably THIS!
You might also like
More from Blockchain
TOKEN2049 Singapore Set to Be World’s Largest Web3 Event With Over 10,000 Attendees
TOKEN2049, Asia’s premier Web3 and crypto conference, has announced its first batch of high-profile title sponsors and headline speakers for …
Massive 3.13 Billion ADA Moved Amid Stellar Performance…ADA Price up?
In an impressive development highlighting Cardano's robust network capabilities, whale wallets have moved a substantial 3.13 billion ADA.
Top 3 Community-Driven Cryptos in 2023 that are STILL Solid…
Community-focused cryptos are increasingly capturing the attention of investors in 2023. Let's mention the top 3 in 2023.