A guide on how to pay with Litecoin and Coinbase
What are cryptocurrencies?
Cryptocurrencies are virtual currencies based on the blockchain technology.
While current banking systems are centralized (such as banks or PayPal), cryptocurrencies are decentralized and rely on a secured peer-to-peer network that keeps a permanent record of all transaction that have taken place.
Bitcoin is the first cryptocurrency and was founded in 2009. Almost ten years later, cryptocurrencies are being used by millions of people, businesses and states to transfer value, goods and services. For more information on how cryptocurrencies can be used and how they will change our society, watch this inspiring TED talk that explains the blockchain.
Why paying with crypto?
Paying with cryptocurrencies is a simple and affordable alternative to fiat money. More and more businesses are opting for cryptocurrencies in order to be more flexible, faster and independent.
Using cryptocurrencies has several benefits, such as…
- Low transaction fees: transaction fees are usually below 1%, while banks or PayPal charge up to 4-5% per transaction in addition to currency exchange fees.
- Instant transactions: transaction delivery time is a matter of minutes, not days, which facilitates cash flow management and company operations
- Security: all cryptocurrency transactions are secure, encrypted and trackable
- Long-term growth: the value of cryptocurrency has been upwards growing, regardless of short-term fluctuations
While there are several cryptocurrencies and exchange platforms, the simplest way is to use the cryptocurrency Litecoin and the exchange platform Coinbase.
- Litecoin is a cryptocurrency with fast transfer time (below 3 minutes)
- Coinbase is a simple and leading online platform to buy and store cryptocurrencies
You can then use this procedure to send money to friends or receive your own payments. The procedure can be used for any type of cryptocurrency offered on Coinbase.
How to pay with Litecoin via Coinbase
Step 1: Create your Coinbase account
Go to www.coinbase.com and sign up for an account.
Step 2: Buy Litecoin
First, you will need to buy Litecoin before you will send it to an account.
- Click on “Buy / Sell”
- Add a payment method (if not done yet)
- Click to buy Litecoin
- Enter the amount you want to buy – on the right side, you will see how much worth of Litecoin you will receive and the fees that apply to buying it.
Important: Make sure to buy a bit more than the amount you will send to cover your fees
- Buy Litecoin – the amount will then be transferred instantly to your Litecoin wallet
Step 3: Send Litecoin
Now that you own Litecoin, you will be able to send it to an account.
- Click on “Accounts”
- Click on “LTC Wallet” – which is your Litecoin wallet
- Click on “Send”
- Enter the recipient address
- IMPORTANT: Always double check the recipient address before sending any payments (!)
- Enter the amount you want to send – it will be shown both in euros and Litecoin
- Optionally, enter a note to the recipient
- Click on Continue and finish the transaction
You’re all set – you just finished your first cryptocurrency payment!
How to receive Litecoins via Coinbase
Step 1: Share your wallet address
- Go to “Accounts”
- Click on “LTC Wallet”
- Click on “Receive”
- Copy and share your wallet address
The sender will then have to follow the steps above and send you Litecoin to this address.
Step 2: Exchange your Litecoin to Euro
One you received the Litecoin amount, you can keep it as Litecoins or convert it to euros.
- Go to “Buy / Sell”
- Click on “Sell” and chose your LTC Wallet
- Enter the amount of Litecoin that you want to convert to euro.
- Sell your Litecoin
Now, you will own euros in your Euro wallet under “Accounts”.
Step 3: Transfer your euros to your bank
If you want to withdraw your euros from Coinbase and transfer them to your bank account, simply follow the following steps. The transaction time is ~24h.
- Go to “Accounts”
- Click on “EUR Wallet”
- Click on “Withdraw”
- Add a Bank account (if not done yet)
- Transfer the money to your bank account
Instant Crypto Credit Lines™ from only 5.9% APR. Earn up to 8% interest per year on your Stablecoins, USD, EUR & GBP. $100 million custodial insurance.
Trading Bitcoin is too complicated?
We highly recommend our Crypto-Starter-Kit to you!
Follow us on Social Media and subscribe to our free crypto newsletter!
Diskutiere mit uns!
This post may contain promotional links that help us fund the site. When you click on the links, we receive a commission - but the prices do not change for you! :)
Disclaimer: The authors of this website may have invested in crypto currencies themselves. They are not financial advisors and only express their opinions. Anyone considering investing in crypto currencies should be well informed about these high-risk assets.
Trading with financial products, especially with CFDs involves a high level of risk and is therefore not suitable for security-conscious investors. CFDs are complex instruments and carry a high risk of losing money quickly through leverage. Be aware that most private Investors lose money, if they decide to trade CFDs. Any type of trading and speculation in financial products that can produce an unusually high return is also associated with increased risk to lose money. Note that past gains are no guarantee of positive results in the future.
You might also like
More from Education
Are you a cryptocurrency/Blockchain lover, a would-be cryptocurrency writer? Find your unique writing voice with the CryptoTicker Writers' School. This …