After coming back from Africa last November, Garrett Camp, the co-founder of Uber, announced in a Medium post that he will be donating half of his assets to charity. According to the multi-billionaire, his trip to Africa has been “eye-opening” and thus he decided that he “shouldn’t wait to start giving back”.
Today, however, instead of giving away money, Camp is planning to create his own.
In an interview with Fortune, Camp revealed his plans to invent a brand new cryptocurrency called Eco. The founder of the accelerator/venture fund Expa said that Eco will be a third-generation cryptocurrency that solves the technical and scalability issues that its forefathers like Bitcoin and Ethereum face. Essentially, Camp wishes for Eco to be a digital global currency that can be used as a payment tool around the world for day-to-day transactions.
Unlike Bitcoin, which is better for larger transactions due to its hefty fees, it is clear that Eco is meant to facilitate both macro- and micro-transactions in today’s world. In his own words, Camp specified the three major pillars in Eco’s vision: “an instant, affordable, and borderless means of payment for the masses”.
In May 2017, Camp made his first investment after speculating the cryptocurrency world for a few years. He purchased his first Bitcoin as well as 10 Ether, the native currency for the Ethereum blockchain. However, as he started using the cryptocurrencies that he bought, he was disappointed by their imperfect infrastructures.
“The more research I did, the more I was not really wanting to buy a large amount of any one of them,” Camp told Fortune. “I realized it might be better to release a new project from a different philosophical standpoint with cooperation from a lot of universities, scientists, and research institutes—like the Internet.”
Camp believes that a collaborative effort from various experts in the field will help further the development of the cryptocurrency world. And he is probably right. Cryptocurrencies are still a very young technology and it will take years, decades even, for them to be easily accessible by the mainstream public. As this Medium piece cleverly puts it, “This is the early days of Cryptocurrency.” And it’s true – we are nowhere near the early adoption majority phase of the technology adoption curve yet.
In light of that, Camp decided to name his project “Eco,” a name that he chose because of its simplicity and that it is easy to pronounce in many languages. Furthermore, the world ‘eco’ is also the fundamental of words like “ecosystem,” “economics,” and “ecommerce”, which very aptly describe cryptocurrencies and the world we live in today.
Camp is not the first tech entrepreneur to dip his toes into the cryptocurrency pool. Big names in the tech industry like Pavel Durov and Mark Zuckerberg have expressed their interest in cryptocurrencies, and Durov himself has also launched Telegram’s TON ICO, which is rumored to be one of the largest ICO to date, raking in over $1 billion in revenue.
- Shiba Inu Price Prediction: How High can SHIB Price reach by 2030?
- Estonia: The World’s First Crypto-Nation
- Telegram to Launch Blockchain Platform and Cryptocurrency
- Shiba Inu to Reach 1$ soon? This New Upcoming Development Proves it Right
- 15 Up-and-Coming Bitcoin Bloggers You Need to Watch
- Fortune “40 Under 40” 2018 Features Blockchain and Cryptocurrency
- Replace Cash With Digital Currency, says Kenyan Blockchain Task Force
- Can Shiba Inu Price Reach 10 Cents?
- Telegram CEO Donates Bitcoins In The Name Of ‘Digital Resistance’
- Scammers Impersonate as Telegram CEO to Steal BTC and ETH
- Big News: Ripple Price is about to TRIPLE? This News Confirms…
- Top 10 Crypto-Blockchain News of the Year 2018
- Ripple Donates $4 Million to Ellen DeGeneres’ Fund
- Grammy Winner Musician Akon To Launch Cryptocurrency AKoin
- Ripple Price Prediction – How High will XRP Reach in 2025?
- Savedroid Back Online: “Exit Scam” To Send A Message
- THIS is how Elon Musk influences the Crypto Market
- How High will XRP Price reach after Ripple wins the SEC Lawsuit? XRP 3$?
- SaveDroid Halts Smart Contract Due to HitBTC Hiccup
You might also like
More from ICO News
The Franklin NFT Trader Controversy: Understanding Market Manipulation & Impact
Read about the controversy surrounding Franklin, a well-known NFT trader, who has been accused of engaging in market manipulation, gambling, …
Finixio Crypto: From Online Marketing to Cryptocurrency Scams?
In this article, we delve into the history of Finixio crypto, its questionable practices, and how its actions contribute to …
Pi Network Crypto – Full Review 2023
Every so often, we witness the launch of a new cryptocurrency that comes with its hype soldiers. In 2019, a …