In an email sent to its users, LiteBit announced that they have been hacked. Repercussions were not very harsh, and the company said that everything was manageable.
On the 27th of February, hackers managed to get ahold of LiteBit’s customers database, and retrieved vital profile information. In fact, attackers can monetize stolen data in many ways. Consequently, those hackers asked the company for a monetary compensation, but the company refused to be threatened and declined.
LiteBit Hacked – What is LiteBit
In short, Litebit is a cryptocurrency exchange that launched back in 2013. They offer a wide range of 50+ cryptocurrencies to trade. Also, they cater mostly to European citizens.
Why and What do Hacker Hack?
Usually, attackers steal data and sell them to different marketplaces:
- Dark Web: where other scammers will get ahold of this info for phishing scams, domain spoofing, identity theft and other illegal activities
- Corporate Companies: usually, these companies are looking to send marketing ads and campaigns to a target audience. They pay good money to obtain a targeted database, and then can start sending email newsletters about different products.
Consequently, the most easily hacked information that those hackers most probably obtained are as followed:
- Full Name
- Email address
- Phone Number
- IBAN address
How to Act after the Hack?
From the company claims, only users who registered before December 2019 were affected. On the other hand, the signals a huge database breach, since the company has been active since 2013. They also claim that passwords, IDs, and verification documents were not affected. This last claim is kinda debatable, and depends on the level of security applied by the company.
In order to mitigate any risk, it is advisable for ALL LiteBit users to do the following:
- Reset their current passwords
- Enable 2-factor authentication when logging in
- Be wary going forward for any suspicious email they receive
Stay Ahead, Stay Updated
- Shiba Inu Price Prediction: How High can SHIB Price reach by 2030?
- How To Protect Your Cryptocurrency Against Hackers?
- Hacker Hacked Elon Musk’s Twitter, Offers Free Cryptocurrency
- Dogecoin Price Prediction – Can DOGE 10x in the Next Bull?
- North Korea Hacks Crypto Exchange With First-Ever macOS Malware
- BitMEX Hacked? Bitcoin Stolen?
- Brazilian Crypto Investment Platform Atlas Quantum Hacked, Data Of 264,000 Users Leaked
- Shiba Inu Price is about to Increase because of THIS indicator!
- How to SAFELY use Cryptocurrencies on the Web and be Crypto Safe!
- Cryptocurrency Exchanges Leaks Analysis From Group-IB
- Cardano Price Prediction – How High can Cardano reach by 2030?
- Crypto Startup Crowd Machine Falls Victim To $14M Hack, Two Men Arrested
- Crypto Wallet Provider Ledger Hacked: Data Leak Results in Phishing Scams
- Russian Hackers Used Bitcoin to Hack the US 2016 Elections
- What Happened with the Solana Hack? Quick Explanation
- Can Shiba Inu Price Reach 10 Cents?
- Bitcoin Investor Sues AT&T
You might also like
More from Blockchain Companies
After Celsius, Voyager and FTX, BlockFi announces its bankruptcy. Why did BlockFi file for bankruptcy? Let's talk about the BlockFi …
What are crypto reserves? How to know how much is available in a crypto exchange? In this article we show …