When we talk about cryptocurrencies, we often hear many lingos that usually drive us away. Cryptocurrencies in nature are a bit complex from a technical aspect, but when explained in layman’s terms, they can make much more sense. Enter Non-Fungible Tokens, or NFTs for short….what are they, and how to use them? Read on.
What are NFTs – Definition
In order to be able to explain what Non-Fungible Tokens are, we need to break down the words that compose it:
- Fungible: this word represents a property, and gives something interchangeability. An example would be the fungible Dollar bill, since you can give it to someone else without its core or value changing.
- Token: cryptocurrency tokens are cryptocurrency assets, that represent something other than a monetary value. An example would be loyalty points, ownership of something else…Think of it as a stock, but instead of having ownership in a company, it can be ownership in anything else.
NFTs are basically digital ownerships tokens, that run on blockchains that support smart-contracts, such as Ethereum. Their non-fungibility is similar to real-world contracts, where you can’t trade one contract to another, because the “actual content” differs from each other. Same things for NFTs, where you can interchange them as their underlying “contract” changes with each one, hence their non-fungible nature.
NFTs – Representations of the Future?
In today’s fast-moving cryptocurrency sphere, many concepts and applications are constantly evolving. Digital assets and their classifications are evolving right alongside cryptographic and blockchain technology. For Non-Fungible Tokens, real-world applications of smart-contracts lie ahead. With cryptocurrencies such as Bitcoin being used to transfer monetary value, NFTs are used to transfer digital ownership. That’s why you can’t divide NFTs the same way you would do with Bitcoins, like for example sending 0.5 Bitcoins, as sending half a contract or half an entrance ticket wouldn’t make much sense.
You might be asking, what’s the use of NFTs if those applications are already being used? Well, the keyword is “decentralized smart-contracts“. There’s something to that word that makes you feel….secure, no? Here is a list of real-life applications:
- Identity Management
- Real Estate
- Media and Entertainment
Some DeFi protocols took advantage of the NFT craze back in summer 2020, allowing users to farm NFT tokens. This resulted in massive price pumps during the summer, but so far haven’t exploded in popularity yet.
Where to BUY Non-Fungible Tokens?
Now that we understand what an NFT is, it is important to understand where can those digital assets be found. Since they are contracts and non-fungible, you wouldn’t just find them on regular cryptocurrency exchanges. You would go on specialized digital exchanges that are NFT marketplaces, and exchange them for cryptocurrencies. Here are a few NFT exchanges:
Don’t know any NFT? Here’s a list of the top 5 NFTs with their respective market caps:
- Flow: USD 463 million
- Enjin Coin: USD 455 million
- Decentraland: USD 442 million
- The Sandbox: USD 188 million
- WAX: USD 123 million
Stay Ahead, Stay Updated
- Don’t Miss Out: Fine Art NFT Marketplace PINSL Launches – What’s it About?
- A Major Problem with NFTs was Solved thanks to NFTX, Here’s How…
- OpenSea Guide – How to Buy and Sell NFTs worth Millions of Dollars
- PEPE Coin Price to Reach $5 in the Next Seven Days?
- Want to Become a Millionaire with NFT? – Use these Platforms and be Creative!
- The Ultimate NFT Guide 2023 – New to NFTs? START HERE
- Top 5 Upcoming NFT Collections To Buy
- Are Fractionalized NFTs the NEXT CRAZE? All you Need to Know
- What is 10KTF NFT? Cracking 10KTF NFT Secret
- Easy Guide: How to Send and Receive NFTs on MetaMask
- NFT Art Pieces On Blockchain – You Can Save It But That’s About It!
- The Top 5 NFT Marketplaces
- What is Seaport OpenSea? Will this update boost the entire crypto market?
- The Top Three Most Expensive NFT Sales to Date!
- Top Five Upcoming NFT Sales In May 2022
- RARIBLE (RARI) – The Perfect NFT Marketplace?
- You Might Soon Be Able to Show Your NFTs As Twitter Avatars!
- Moonbirds NFT Jumped By 1500% In 7 Days! Here’s What To Know!
- Breaking: GameStop JUMPS on the NFT Wagon, Announcing its NFT Platform
You might also like
More from Crypto
A Bitcoin crash doesn't necessarily mean one should immediately jump into selling altcoins. Here's our list of the top 3 …
Dogecoin and Shina Inu: now that the famous Shiba Inu dog died, anticipation around DOGE and SHIB roadmaps is growing. …