A lot has happened in the past week, specifically one of the biggest scandals in the past decade regarding financial brokers. Trust is one key component that the broker-investor relationship depends on, and it seems that this trust is starting to break. Regulators and big tech giants are interfering to try to break the ice and level down the impact of the disaster, but so far in vain. In this article, we’re going to specifically tackle what happened with GameStop stock, and how it affected cryptos, more specifically DOGECOIN.
What the Hell happened with GameStop Stock?
Before we tackle the events that happened, we need to understand what are hedge funds and how they operate.
Hedge Funds are financial institutions that pool investors’ funds and trade the markets using complex strategies. One of their activities is analyzing companies’ balance sheets in order to buy strong companies or short weak companies that have bleak futures.
One of those weak companies happened to be GameStop, a company barely making any profit, and has been replaced by the online gaming industry. So most hedge funds had this company on their radar, with short positions in their portfolios.
A Reddit page called WallstreetBets, which represents a meme group where retail traders discuss topics, happen to all agree on a strategy to “pump” a certain stock that is being shorted, for the sole purpose of making hedge funds (the big players) lose their money. That’s what happened, everyone decided to buy the stock, leading to a price surge of about 1,000%.
Was GameStop’s price surge ALL due to Retail Traders?
It is very unlikely that the price increase was solely done by retail traders. In the financial markets, many players participate in buying and selling activities. One of those players is Algorithmic Trading:
Algorithmic trading is a method of executing orders using automated pre-programmed trading instructions accounting for variables such as time, price, and volume. This type of trading attempts to leverage the speed and computational resources of computers relative to human traders.Wikipidia explanation
Retail traders usually barely represent 20% of the market activity. So they might have been able to maybe start the buying momentum, which in turn got pushed by algorithmic trading, making a snowball effect.
How did this affect the Crypto Market?
Robinhood, one of the leading brokerage firms in the US decided to side with Hedge Funds and halt buying of a few stocks that for them, are being manipulated. But the truth is far from that, and Robinhood is blamed for manipulating the market by siding with their bigger clientele, and going against a free market principle.
Enter Cryptocurrencies, which are totally made to run away from traditional businesses that are quite manipulative, and represent a totally free market. When chaos started to unveil with this big scandal, investors started to know the importance of a decentralized marketplace and turned to cryptocurrencies, which in turn explains why the cryptocurrency market was up by USD 100 Billion in the past 24 hours, reaching a USD 1 Trillion market capitalization again.
Why did DogeCoin price surge 470%?
Since the GameStop fiasco started from a memes group on Reddit, it is only logical that DogeCoin, the meme cryptocurrency, becomes a target from “pump-buyers”, especially that Elon Musk touted in a new tweet about Dogecoin again.
Dogecoin today stands at #12 in the cryptocurrency charts by market capitalization, with a worth of USD 6 Billion and a current price of USD 0.046.
Stay Ahead, Stay Updated
- PEPE Coin Price to Reach $5 in the Next Seven Days?
- Top 3 Price Prediction Bitcoin, Ethereum, Ripple: Crazy market conditions as Elon Musk pumps BTC
- Dogecoin Price eyes USD 0.1 – Does Dogecoin have growth potential?
- Shiba Inu Price Prediction: How High can SHIB Price reach by 2030?
- Should You Trust Robinhood After Its Hack?
- 3 Reasons Why The Crypto Market Crashed! BTC/ETH/XRP Down 10%
- Elon Musk is under SEC Investigation…Again?
- This Coin is up 150% in 7 days and ELON MUSK seems to love it…It’s also called a “ShitCoin”
- US Treasury Secretary Reels in the Finance Sector.
- Elon Musk will Resign from Twitter – Will Dogecoin Die?
- Will Dogecoin Payments on Twitter become a Reality? Elon hints…
- Elon Musk Backs out from Twitter – Is Dogecoin Price Affected?
- Bitcoin Price Prediction – BTC Breached 40K! Will it climb to 50K next?
- Elon switches Twitter picture to BAYC but wasn’t impressed! Crash soon?
- Puppet Master? How Elon Musk Tweets Affect Bitcoin Price
- Elon Musk HOLDS Dogecoins – THIS is how much
- Dogecoin Price Prediction: Will Elon Musk drive the price of DOGE to $2 by 2023?
- Can Dogecoin Price reach 10 cents soon? DOGE is on FIRE!
- Top 5 reasons why the Crypto Market is Crashing – You may have missed these!