Ethereum Co-Founder Vitalik Buterin draws a line in the sand – Coindesk has shown that it is more concerned with sensationalizing stories and collecting advertisement money by supporting scams, rather than providing quality information to the blockchain space.
Coindesk Consensus 2018
The consensus conferences concept originated in Denmark in the 1980s to address issues regarding public policy and technology – “to qualify people’s attitudes, inasmuch as they are given all the information they require until they are ready to assess a given technology.” The concept is often utilized in the medical field to confirm adoption of new treatment procedures.
Can we consider the Coindesk conference a consensus? Can we consider the organization itself a valid representation of the blockchain space?
Coindesk calls their conference the “4th annual blockchain technology summit.” The event costs atendees thousands of dollars, and will take place in New York City. It is organized, advertised and profitable to Coindesk, as similar conferences are in any other industry. It does not focus on the original intent of Consensus Conferences.
A series of tweets points to this change, and the irresponsible nature of of Coindesk’s media distribution. He began by overtly condemning the conference:
“I am boycotting @coindesk‘s Consensus 2018 conference this year, and strongly encourage others to do the same. Here is my reasoning why.”
- Coindesk consistently enables scams. They are willing to take the advertising profits without consideration for the nature of the company.
- They specifically misquoted Viitalik recently in order to create a more sensationalized article, and refused to correct it.
- Their information policy sets up a catch-22, where Coindesk can deny any request that anything requested “off the record” can be denied
Scams are the major fuel for regulation of the blockchain space. The pressure here is placed on governing bodies, but why is there no responsibility on information sources?
Ad-bans have happened recently with Facebook and Linked, but these websites are not explicitly blockchain/cryptocurrency news sources. Misinformation will continue to plague adoption of the technology if information outlets don’t take responsibility for their influence.
OMG has confirmed they will stand with Vitalik Buterin on this issue in a tweet. They highlight these issues of responsibility to the public. Coindesk engages in “careless reporting and reacts with hostility rather than humility when the error is brought to its attention.”
- XRP Price increase 100%? This Chart confirms a MASSIVE Breakout soon
- Consensus 2018 Sees Over 8,500 Attendees
- Ethereum Developers Are Working On A Secret Upgrade
- LUNA Crash to 1$! Proposal to fix UST is out, will LUNA recover soon?
- Worst Conference? Was Vitalik Right? – Consensus 2018
- Ethereum Founder Vitalik Buterin Unveils His Own Crypto Investments
- Malta Blockchain Summit 2018- Event Review
- Vitalik Buterin and OmiseGO Add 1$ Million to Refugee Charity Total
- Facebook Rethinks Cryptocurrency Ad Ban
- XRP Price Prediction – Can XRP reach 2$ before 2022?
- Ethereum Classic UP +20% as the MERGE approaches, BUY ETC?
- Elon Musk, Vitalik Buterin, And ETH Development
- Fortune “40 Under 40” 2018 Features Blockchain and Cryptocurrency
- XRP Price Prediction – Can Ripple reach 1 $ before 2023?
- ETHAmsterdam Digest: THIS is what Vitalik thinks about Ethereum Today
- The World’s Youngest Crypto Billionaire talks about the influence of Elon Musk’s tweets
- Vitalik Buterin, Reddit’s Founder & More: News from the Crypto World
You might also like
More from Crypto
Will Dogecoin reach $1 soon? What will happen to DOGE prices before 2023? Let's analyze in this Dogecoin price prediction …
Trying to get to grips with cryptocurrencies and native Reddit NFT assets looks promising for Reddit's adventure into decentralized finance
Bitcoin surpassed yet again the 20k price. Is the new bullrun finally coming? Let's analyze in this Bitcoin Price Prediction …