A hacker is selling hacked KYC documents from top cryptocurrency exchanges on the dark web market called Dread. According to CCN, a vendor known as “ExploitDOT” is trying to trade user KYC data(know-your-customer) data hacked from top cryptocurrency exchanges. The hacker has claimed that he has collected this data from some of the top cryptocurrency exchanges such as Poloniex, Binance, Bittrex, and Bitfinex.
The dark web is the World Wide Web that lives on darknets. These are the overlay networks that utilize the Internet but need special software, arrangements, or permission to reach. In other words, it is that portion of the World Wide Web that is only available by means of specific software, enabling users and website administrators to remain unidentified or untraceable.
The data is apparently for sale for $10 per 100 records or more, with exemptions for those people who purchase in quantity, all the way up to $1 per 1,000 for orders above 25,000. The hacker has an advertisement that has been online from July 2018, in which he professes to have hacked records utilized in KYC notes – such as identification cards and drivers’ licenses – from users of top exchanges like Bittrex, Poloniex, Bitfinex, and Binance.
According to CCN, an anonymous cybersecurity expert has reported that after communicating the person acting as a buyer, he was authorized to acquire three free specimens out of him as evidence that the leaked documents are authentic.
It is stated that the hacker also has information of the victims with selfies keeping up bits of paper with words such as “Binance” having their faces and documents noticeable.
As proof, the cybersecurity expert got pictures of individuals holding up a piece of paper with the word “Binance” and the date the picture was taken at. In these pictures, their faces are visible, as well as their identity cards or drivers’ licenses.
This disclosure is befalling just weeks after another cryptocurrency exchange, Cryptopia is said to have been hacked with millions in cryptocurrencies removed from the exchange. Just a few days ago, Cryptopia, New Zealand based cryptocurrency exchange had gone offline calling a major hack. The cryptocurrency exchange took onto official twitter handle to declare that the exchange has suffered a security breach that took place on January 14, 2019. Once the infringement was recognized, the exchange was put under maintenance to stop and evaluate the loses that had occurred.
The amount stolen is not known to the people. However, an extensive amount of 19,391 ETH (approximately $2.5 million) was freshly shifted from Cryptopia to an anonymous wallet, which might assist as evidence of the stolen amount. The statement issued by Cryptopia was almost hazy, with not a lot of details, which has left people puzzled and annoyed about their funds. Many are expecting that the exchange has held the bulk of the funds in cold storage, although this is not confirmed.
Disclaimer: This information should not be interpreted as an endorsement of any cryptocurrency. It is not a recommendation to trade. The crypto market is full of surprises and overhyped assets. Do your research before buying anything. Do not invest more than you can afford to lose.
- Top Crypto News of the Week in 6 minutes
- PEPE Coin Price to Reach $5 in the Next Seven Days?
- Breaking News – LiteBit exchange was HACKED, here’s what you Need to Know
- Cryptocurrency Exchanges Leaks Analysis From Group-IB
- Multiple crypto-related hacks happen within 24 hours
- The U.S. Justice Department to Auction Off More Than $1 Billion in Bitcoin
- Top 5 Cryptocurrency Tax Software
- Upbit Cryptocurrency Exchange Hack – The Story So Far
- Crypto Startup Crowd Machine Falls Victim To $14M Hack, Two Men Arrested
- Breaking News: Binance allegedly under threat of an attack
- BTI Claims $6 Billion Daily Cryptocurrency Volume is Fraud, How to Combat it?
- South Korea’s Bithumb Hacked – $30 Million Stolen
- Hacker Hacked Elon Musk’s Twitter, Offers Free Cryptocurrency
- Has Your Computer Been Cryptojacked?
- Reaction to SEC Exchange Regulation So Far
- Cryptocurrency Trading Assistant Taylor Hacked For USD 1.7M (2579 ETH)
- New York Attorney General: Cryptocurrency Exchanges Are Vulnerable To Manipulation
- Crypto Malware found in Adobe Flash Player Updates
- Binance US can have Huge Impact on Global Crypto Market
- The Dark Side of Cryptocurrency Exchange Listings
- Bitcoin, Elon Musk, Jeff Bezos, Bill Gates etc. Hacked In Twitter Breach
You might also like
More from Crypto
Ethereum price reaching $10,000 in the next few months. Let's take a look at this Ethereum price prediction article in …
Solana is currently standing at $108 and getting ready for a big increase in its value. It's an exciting time …
Explore whether Shiba Inu, the once explosive cryptocurrency, can overcome its huge challenges to reach $1 in 2024. We dive …